CHAPTER 8: QUESTIONS
1. How many kids are in Ben's school this year? ____
2. What are some of the problems caused by gophers on John's ranch?
___ Gopher poop everywhere
___ Swather blades ruined
___ Alfalfa roots destroyed
___ Dirt in bales of hay
___ Noisy gophers at night
3. List three problems farmers might have.
1) ________________________ 2) ______________________
4. Skeeter's dowel-and-blade gadget is used to slice up a
_________ into __________________.
5. Ben's dream is to be a _________________, ride a _____________________________________________________________,
drive a herd of _________-___________ _______________ wearing ______ _______ _______________
up to the _________ _______________________, raise his own ______________, be his own _________.
6. List two of Pete's sayings.
7. Put an X by the three most important events in this chapter.
___ Mrs. Bengoa serves snacks.
___ Ben starts his new job.
___ Ben rides his four-wheeler home.
___ Ben starts working on the riata.
___ Ben's mom plays the piano.
___ Ben struggles with his feelings about where to live.
8. Based on what you have read so far, make one or more predictions about what you think might happen in the next chapter, later in the book, or at the end of the book.
9. Have any of your previous predictions happened yet? _________
CHAPTER 8: DISCUSSION or WRITE ABOUT READING
1. How does Ben feel about his first day trapping?
2. Why do you suppose Ben chooses not to tell the cowboys about the dead battery?
3. Compare Pete with Ben's grandpa: What lifestyle does each prefer? Tell something positive and negative about each lifestyle.
4. How does the author use music to parallel Ben's moods as he sits on his four-wheeler in the dark, thinking?
What would Ben write in his journal at the end of this chapter?
What would John Bengoa write in his journal?
Do you think you would like to farm or ranch? Why or why not?
Do you agree or disagree with Seth's thinking about the horse? Why?
At the end of the chapter, why does Ben find his thoughts and feelings confusing?
CHAPTER 8: VOCABULARY
make up for
Use a vocabulary word from Column 1, then a word from Column 2:
1. _____________ begins like its synonym, ______________.
2. ___________ comes from the word __________ because humans are like this.
3. _________________ pictures poking someone in the _______.
4. _____________________________ means exciting, exhilarating, almost like being a little _____________ but not from drinking.
5. _________________________ was a famous composer of _________.
6. To ________ ___________ means to __________ _____ _____.
7. A ______________ is a round length of _________.
8. You might stand on a ___________________ to give a ______________ in front of a crowd.
Lit Unit: Sample Pages